Plaque can turn into tatar in as little as twenty four hours! Regular checkups are essential to oral health. Daily home cleaning and good oral hygiene helps control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard to reach areas will always need special attention.
Regular maintenance cleanings should be performed regularly – usually four times a year depending on your needs. At these cleaning appointments, the pocket depths will be carefully checked to ensure that they are healthy. Plaque and calculus that is difficult for you to remove on a daily basis will be removed from above and below the gum line.
During routine checkups – some other examinations may be necessary:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): help find decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss that cannot be seen with just a visual exam.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.